Vegetarian shepherd’s pie
(at time of publication)
- 6 large (about 1kg) all-purpose or floury potatoes
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat spread
- ½ cup freshly grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup trim milk
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 1 red or green capsicum, deseeded, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon instant vegetable stock powder
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano, paprika and dark soy sauce
- 1 ½ cups water, beer, wine, bean liquid and/or potato cooking liquid
- 2 tablespoons tomato concentrate
- 420g can red kidney beans, drained
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½-1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Wash potatoes then cut in chunks. Simmer in lightly salted water until tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid.
2 Mash potatoes with spread, half the cheese and enough milk to make a fairly soft consistency. After mashing, beat potatoes with a fork until light and fluffy.
3 Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions. Cook until tender and well browned. Add capsicum and flour. Stir until flour is lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients except kidney beans then bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Add kidney beans either whole, roughly chopped or mashed. Taste and adjust seasoning as required.
4 Spread vege and bean mixture into a lightly sprayed 20x25cm baking dish. Cover with spoonfuls of mashed potato. Sprinkle remaining grated cheese over the top. If not cooking immediately, refrigerate.
5 Bake uncovered at 180°C for 20-30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour, stock powder, tomato paste and soy sauce. Check paprika is gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information