Carrot cake made with honey and olive oil
- 2 cups grated carrot
- ¾ cup ground almonds
- 1⅔ cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- zest 1 orange and 3 tablespoons juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup currants
- 4 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons runny honey, plus 2 tablespoons extra to serve
- 500g pot reduced-fat Greek-style yoghurt
- ⅓ cup unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped, to serve
1 Heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4 and line a 1kg loaf tin with baking paper.
2 In a large bowl, mix together the grated carrot, almonds, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, eggs, orange zest and juice, olive oil, currants, the honey and 2/3 cup of the yoghurt until combined.
3 Pour the cake batter into the prepared tin, then bake for 1 hr–1 hr 10 min until the cake is golden and a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean.
4 Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool in the tin. When cool, cut the cake into 12 slices and serve each with a dollop of nutty yogurt made by putting the remaining yoghurt in a small bowl, sprinkling with the pistachios and drizzling with the 2 tablespoons honey.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12.2g
–Saturated fat 2.1g
Dietary fibre 3.7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information