Green salsa steak
- Salsa topping
- ½ cup fresh coriandercilantroX
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded, sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons ciderhard ciderX vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Rice pilaf
- ¾ cup rice
- ⅓ cup dates, chopped
- 1 cup chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 4 x 120g lean beef steaks
- sprinkling of ground paprika or chilli flakes
- oil spray
- 3 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, halved
1 Place topping ingredients in a processor and process until a chunky topping forms. Adjust seasoning. Set aside and chill.
2 To make pilaf, cook rice. Drain and mix with dates, chickpeas and capsicum.
3 Season steak with paprika. Heat a non-stick pan until hot with a little spray oil and cook courgettes for 2 minutes each side. Set aside. Cook steaks to your liking (see tip) and serve topped with salsa and with rice and courgettes on the side.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 6g
Make it gluten free: Check ground paprika is gluten free.
Step by step: Cooking the perfect steak
Step 1 Bring steak to room temperature. Heat a pan or barbecue until hot.
Step 2 Spray steak with oil, then cook on a high heat. Season with pepper while one side is cooking. Cook each side to your liking, turning once with tongs.
Step 3 Turn steak on its side to seal sides.
Cooking guidelines (for a steak 4cm in thickness):
- For a rare steak, cook each side for 1 1/2 minutes
- For a medium steak, cook each side for 2 1/2–3 minutes
Once cooked, rest steak for 5 minutes before serving so juices are reabsorbed.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us