Kids’ fried rice
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 500g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 4 cups cold, cooked brown rice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- pinch salt and black pepper
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 4 spring onions, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 2 tablespoons reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- sriracha, to serve (optional, see tips)
1 In a large frying pan or wok, heat oil over medium-high. Add chicken pieces and sauté until browned. Add garlic and ginger to pan and cook for 1 minute.
2 Add rice to pan and heat through for 2-3 minutes, stirring well. Pour beaten eggs over the rice, season and gently stir until egg looks cooked.
3 Add cabbage, carrot, mushrooms and peas to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes or until just tender.
4 Stir in sprouts, spring onion, soy sauce and sesame oil. Divide among 4 bowls. To serve, garnish with extra spring onion and sriracha, if desired.
Make it gluten free: Check sauces are gluten free.
Sriracha is a hot chilli sauce and can be found in most supermarkets. Use a sweet chilli sauce if you prefer.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information