Lamb kebabs with courgette salad
- 12 wooden skewers, pre-soaked in water
- 500g lean lamb leg, diced in 2cm pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, zest and 1 tablespoon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat plain Greek yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 large courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, peeled in ribbons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium-sized capsicums, diced in 2cm pieces
- 350g eggplantaubergineX, diced in 2cm pieces or 350g mushrooms, halved
- 4 small (40g) wholemeal pita breads
1 Combine lamb, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon lemon zest, the first measure of olive oil and oregano. Refrigerate and marinate for 1-2 hours if possible.
2 While lamb is marinating make yoghurt sauce. Combine yoghurt, mint and the remaining garlic clove. Cover and set aside.
3 To make courgette salad, combine courgette ribbons with vinaigrette made with the second measure of olive oil and lemon juice. Set aside.
4 Remove lamb from fridge. To make kebabs, thread lamb onto skewers, alternating with capsicum and eggplant pieces.
5 Preheat oven to 200°C. Heat a large grill plate or barbecue to a medium-high heat and spray lightly with oil. Place kebabs on grill and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until lamb is brown and cooked through and eggplant tender.
6 Meanwhile, place pita bread in oven and heat for 2-3 minutes or until slightly crisp.
7 Remove kebabs from heat, cover with tinfoil and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve with pita bread, yoghurt sauce and courgette salad.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 5g
- Mix up the veges for recipe variation — just make sure all skewered items are cooked evenly: try white button mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, broccoli florets.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pita bread and check yoghurt is gluten free.
- Make it vegetarian: Use marinated firm tofu cubes (gluten free if necessary) instead of lamb.
Make sure that capsicums, eggplant and lamb are the same size so they cook evenly.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us