Lamb kebabs with courgette saladReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 12 wooden skewers, pre-soaked in water
- 500g lean lamb leg, diced in 2cm pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, zest and 1 tablespoon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat plain Greek yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 large courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, peeled in ribbons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium-sized capsicums, diced in 2cm pieces
- 350g eggplantaubergineX, diced in 2cm pieces or 350g mushrooms, halved
- 4 small (40g) wholemeal pita breads
1 Combine lamb, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon lemon zest, the first measure of olive oil and oregano. Refrigerate and marinate for 1-2 hours if possible.
2 While lamb is marinating make yoghurt sauce. Combine yoghurt, mint and the remaining garlic clove. Cover and set aside.
3 To make courgette salad, combine courgette ribbons with vinaigrette made with the second measure of olive oil and lemon juice. Set aside.
4 Remove lamb from fridge. To make kebabs, thread lamb onto skewers, alternating with capsicum and eggplant pieces.
5 Preheat oven to 200°C. Heat a large grill plate or barbecue to a medium-high heat and spray lightly with oil. Place kebabs on grill and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until lamb is brown and cooked through and eggplant tender.
6 Meanwhile, place pita bread in oven and heat for 2-3 minutes or until slightly crisp.
7 Remove kebabs from heat, cover with tinfoil and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve with pita bread, yoghurt sauce and courgette salad.
- Mix up the veges for recipe variation — just make sure all skewered items are cooked evenly: try white button mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, broccoli florets.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pita bread and check yoghurt is gluten free.
- Make it vegetarian: Use marinated firm tofu cubes (gluten free if necessary) instead of lamb.
Make sure that capsicums, eggplant and lamb are the same size so they cook evenly.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information