Lentil, roasted pumpkin and ricotta open piesReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 500g butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, diced
- 1 medium-sized red capsicum, deseeded, diced
- 1 medium-sized red onion, peeled, cut in thin wedges
- 1 teaspoon Moroccan seasoning
- spray oil
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 420g can no-added-salt lentils, drained, rinsed
- ½ cup (115g) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 4 tablespoons rolled oatsoatmeal uncookedX
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat spread
- 1 cup low-fat plain yoghurt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. To make filling, place pumpkin, capsicum and onion on one of the prepared trays. Sprinkle vegetables with Moroccan seasoning and spray with oil. Roast vegetables for 25 minutes or until tender. Remove and set aside to slightly cool.
2 While vegetables are roasting, make pastry. In a food processor process dry ingredients. Add spread and process until mixture is crumbly. With machine running, add yoghurt until dough holds together. Knead into a ball, wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3 Knead dough for 3 minutes until smooth. Dust with flour and roll out to accommodate 5 x 18-20cm circles. Set aside.
4 In a large bowl place roasted vegetables, tomatoes, lentils, ricotta and parsley and stir gently to combine filling and season with freshly ground black pepper.
5 Brush pastry rounds with egg white. Place one-fifth of the filling in the centre of each round, leaving a 3cm border. Scrunch up each pastry border to enclose filling, leaving pie tops open.
6 Place pies on the other prepared tray. Bake for 15 minutes or until pastry is crisp and golden.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information