Lighter Kiwi onion dipReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup water
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 ⅓ cups low-fat Greek-style yoghurt
- ¼ teaspoon Tuscan seasoning
- 2 tablespoons light cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or parsley
- To serve
- 2 cups celery sticks
- 2 cups carrot sticks
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, chargrilled
- 1 wholemeal pita bread, cut into triangles, sprayed with oil and grilled
- 8 Rosemary biscuits
1 Place onion and garlic in a pan with oil and heat. Cook over a very low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden.
2 Add water to the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until all the water has evaporated.
3 Add onion powder and vinegar and cook for a further 5 minutes. Set to one side to cool completely. Once cold, purée the onions.
4 Stir in the yoghurt, seasoning and light cream; chill. Sprinkle with chives and serve with vegetable sticks, tomatoes, pita chips and Rosemary biscuits.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread instead of pita, and gluten-free flour in Rosemary biscuits ADD LINK. Check Greek-style yoghurt and Tuscan seasoning are gluten free.
- This dip is best eaten on the day it’s made.
- Re-taste dip after chilling as flavours can alter while chilling.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information