Mediterranean chicken with wholemeal couscous
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus 2 extra tablespoons
- ½ tablespoon garam masala
- ½ tablespoon ground turmeric
- 500g skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup sliced red capsicum
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 1 cup roughly chopped pitted prunes
- ½ cup wholemeal couscous
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup broad beansfavaX
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley, plus extra to garnish
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. In a cast iron pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high.
2 Rub garam masala and turmeric evenly over chicken thighs. Add chicken to pot and cook until browned. Remove and set aside.
3 Add onion, capsicum, carrot and garlic to the pot and cook until fragrant. Place chicken back into the pot with stock, 1 cup water and prunes. Cover and place in oven. Cook for 35-40 minutes until chicken is tender.
4 Remove chicken from pot, leaving stock and veges behind, cover and set aside. Add couscous, spinach and broad beans to the pot, stir to combine then cook on stovetop over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add almonds and stir.
5 In a jar, shake extra oil, parsley and vinegar to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
6 Slice chicken thighs and serve on top of couscous. Drizzle parsley vinaigrette over both, garnish with extra parsley and serve.
Make it gluten free: Use cooked brown rice instead of couscous and check ground spices and stock are gluten fre
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 27g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 13g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.