Mediterranean chicken with wholemeal couscous
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus 2 extra tablespoons
- ½ tablespoon garam masala
- ½ tablespoon ground turmeric
- 500g skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup sliced red capsicum
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 1 cup roughly chopped pitted prunes
- ½ cup wholemeal couscous
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup broad beansfavaX
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley, plus extra to garnish
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. In a cast iron pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high.
2 Rub garam masala and turmeric evenly over chicken thighs. Add chicken to pot and cook until browned. Remove and set aside.
3 Add onion, capsicum, carrot and garlic to the pot and cook until fragrant. Place chicken back into the pot with stock, 1 cup water and prunes. Cover and place in oven. Cook for 35-40 minutes until chicken is tender.
4 Remove chicken from pot, leaving stock and veges behind, cover and set aside. Add couscous, spinach and broad beans to the pot, stir to combine then cook on stovetop over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add almonds and stir.
5 In a jar, shake extra oil, parsley and vinegar to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
6 Slice chicken thighs and serve on top of couscous. Drizzle parsley vinaigrette over both, garnish with extra parsley and serve.
Make it gluten free: Use cooked brown rice instead of couscous and check ground spices and stock are gluten fre
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 27g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 13g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information