Roasted sweet potato and black bean burgers
- 500g peeled sweet potatoes/ kumarasweet-potatoX, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX
- ¹⁄³ cup rolled oatsoatmeal uncookedX, plus ½ cup extra to coat
- 400g can no-added-salt black beans, rinsed, drained
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped
- fresh coriandercilantroX leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 wholegrain bread rolls, halved, toasted
- ¼ cup harissa hummus
- 60g mixed salad leaves
- 1 large Lebanese cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- 1 small red onion, sliced into rings
1 Preheat oven to 180ºC. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place sweet potato on prepared tray, sprinkle with spices and lightly spray with oil. Roast for 25–30 minutes or until golden and tender. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and mash, leaving some texture. Allow to cool.
2 Place oats in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add to potato mash. Lightly mash black beans and add to bowl, along with spring onion and coriander. Mix until well combined. Season, then shape mixture into four 2cm-thick patties. Place extra oats on a large plate. Press patties into oats to lightly coat.
3 Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook for 2–3 minutes each side or until golden. Meanwhile, spread roll bases with hummus, then top with salad leaves. Transfer patties to roll bases, then top with cucumber and onion rings. Serve burgers sandwiched with roll tops.
To make your own harissa hummus, blitz drained, canned chickpeas with two tablespoons tahini & half a fresh red chilli in a food processor.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11.9g
–Saturated fat 1.8g
Dietary fibre 15.6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.