Mexican chicken burgers with golden kumara wedges
(at time of publication)
- 600g golden kumarasweet-potatoX, scrubbed, cut into wedges
- spray oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 x 200g chicken breast fillets, halved horizontally so each breast forms 2 thin fillets
- 1 tablespoon Mexican seasoning
- ⅔ cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup mixed salad leaves
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup low-fat Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 wholegrain bread rolls, halved
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- ½ avocado, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup mild Mexican salsa (see tip)
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place kumara on tray and spray with olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden and tender.
2 Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Sprinkle chicken with seasoning. Cook chicken for 3 minutes each side, or until browned and cooked through. Slice thinly.
3 Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix cabbage, salad leaves and onion. In a separate small bowl, mix yoghurt and lemon juice.
4 Place cabbage mixture on bread roll bases. Top with cucumber, avocado and chicken. Drizzle with yoghurt mixture, then salsa. Add bread roll tops. Serve burgers with wedges.
If you can’t find Mexican seasoning at the supermarket, make your own by mixing together ground cumin, sugar, salt, paprika, chilli and oregano.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and check seasoning, yoghurt and salsa are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.