Mexican nacho capsicums
(at time of publication)
- 4 red capsicums, halved, seeds removed
- spray oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 250g lean beef mince
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼–½ teaspoon chilli powder, to taste
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes, finely diced
- 400g can no-added-salt kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup grated reduced-fat cheddar (we used Noble)
- 2 cups plain corn sweetcornXchips, to serve
- ¾ cup frozen corn sweetcornXkernels, defrosted
- 1 avocado, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place capsicum halves on tray, cut side up.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and set over a medium heat. Gently fry onion for 2 minutes, or until just softened. Add mince and spices. Cook, stirring to break up mince, for 2 minutes. Add tomato paste, tomatoes and kidney beans and simmer for a further 2 minutes. Add up to ¼ cup of water to thin mixture if needed.
- Place beef mixture into capsicum halves and top with grated cheese. Cover with a sheet of baking paper and a sheet of foil. Bake for about 10 minutes. Remove foil and paper and bake for a further 10–15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and capsicums are heated through.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl gently combine corn, avocado and lime juice. Serve capsicums with salsa and corn chips.
Make it vegan: Use Sanitarium Vegie Delights vege mince and vegan cheddar.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 12g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information