Beef ragù made healthier
- spray oil
- 100g smoked bacon medallions, chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1kg extra-lean beef mince
- 3 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- 1 1/4 cups red wine
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 500g wholemeal spaghetti, cooked according to pack instructions, to serve
1 Spray a large saucepan with oil, add the bacon, onion, celery, garlic and bay leaves and cook for 6–8 min until soft. Add the beef mince and cook over a high heat for 5–6 min until cooked through. Add the tomato purée and fry for 1 min. Add the mixed herbs, wine and chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil, then bubble for 5 min.
2 Reduce to a simmer and cook over a low heat for 30–40 min until the sauce is thickened. Discard the bay leaves, then serve the bolognese with the cooked spaghetti.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14.7g
–Saturated fat 5.7g
Dietary fibre 9.5g
Last updated date: 12 August 2021
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information