Pearl barley autumn vegetable risottoReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 500g silver beet, white removed and set aside
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 onion, sliced, ends set aside
- 500g Brussels sprouts, stems removed and set aside, halved
- 1 carrot, chopped, ends set aside
- 2 celery sticks, chopped, ends set aside
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, outer leaves removed, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups (420g) pearl barley
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups thickly sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups shaved or grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted almonds, to garnish
- To make silver beet purée, in a pan over medium heat, cook washed leaves until wilted. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Blend until puréed. Set aside.
- To make stock, in a large saucepan bring 4 cups of water to the boil. Add silver beet stalks and vegetable ends and boil for 10 minutes. Strain and set liquid aside. Discard ends and stalks.
- Preheat oven and a medium roasting pan to 180˚C. Add 4 teaspoons of oil and sprouts to the hot pan and roast for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until just crispy.
- Meanwhile, in a stove-top pan, heat remaining oil over medium-low heat. Fry onion, carrot, celery and fennel for 10 minutes until very soft. Add bay leaves and garlic for last 2-3 minutes, stir well. Add barley and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add wine, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, then add mushrooms. Add half the stock and stir well. Cook over low heat, stirring often, until liquid is almost absorbed. Add remaining stock, and cook until barley is tender. The risotto should be fairly moist and loose. If not, add a little water. Stir through parmesan and let it sit for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- In a bowl, toss sprouts through honey, mustard and lemon juice.
- Divide risotto among bowls or pasta plates to serve. Top with silver beet purée, sprouts and almonds.
Make it gluten free: Use arborio rice instead of barley and check mustard and nutmeg gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use vegan parmesan, such as Angel Food, and use vegan wine. Substitute honey for a vegan sweetener.
You can reheat leftovers the next day or make into risotto balls.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 21g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information