Quorn and bean chilli
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 cup red or yellow lentils
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, diced
- 400g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 400g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup dried apricots, chopped
- ½ cup store-bought chargrilled red capsicums
- 1 cup passata
- 4 teaspoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- boiling water
- To serve
- 6 warmed tortillas
- 6 tablespoons low-fat plain yoghurt
- ½ cup fresh coriandercilantroX or parsley
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 22g
1 In a freezer bag, place Quorn, lentils and half of the spices, half of the salt, half of the garlic and half of the oil.
2 In a pan, heat remaining oil and cook onion until softened. Set aside to cool. In a second freezer bag, place onion, squash and remaining spices, salt and garlic.
3 In a third freezer bag, place beans, chickpeas, apricots and peppers.
4 In a jug, combine passata, pesto and ¹/³ cup water. Pour into a fourth small freezer bag.
5 Seal each bag, shake to combine ingredients, flatten to remove air, and clearly label. Place flat in the freezer together.
6 Two hours before cooking, remove all bags from the freezer. Preheat slow cooker for 5 minutes on low. Empty in contents of freezer bags – Quorn first, then veges, then beans then sauce. Add 2 cups boiling water. Use a large spoon to break up ingredients a little.
7 Cover and cook for 6 hours. Adjust seasoning. Serve with warmed tortillas, a dollop of yoghurt and fresh herbs.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free tortillas and check ground spices, passata and pesto are gluten free.
Handy hints for slow-cooker freezer bags
Make sure you use proper freezer bags.
- Remove all air from the bags once they are filled.
- Label each bag clearly including the date of freezing.
- Freeze recipe bags in a group together.
- Keep bags as flat as possible when freezing.
- Remove bags from the freezer at least two hours before placing in the slow cooker. Or remove the bags from the freezer the night before, store in the fridge and reduce the amount of boiling water added to them by half.
- Preheat slow cooker before adding the bag contents.
- Always add meat portion to the cooker first.
- Always add liquid bag last.
- Add boiling water to the cooker as the last ingredient when stated in a recipe.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us