Sayur lodeh (Malay vegetable curry)
(at time of publication)
- Curry paste
- 5 dried chillies
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 small shallots, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Vegemite
- 35g (4 tablespoons) peeled, roughly chopped ginger
- 1 stalk lemongrass (white part only), roughly chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup reduced-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 250g green beans, ends removed and cut in half
- 2 cups quartered button mushrooms
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into batons
- 1 head (around 200g)c broccoli, cut in small florets
- ¼ (around 500g) red cabbage, sliced
- 300g firm tofu, cut in 3cm cubes
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- coriandercilantroX leaves, to garnish
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
1 Place all curry paste ingredients in a food processor. Blend to a smooth paste.
2 Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add curry paste and fry for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
3 Add coconut milk, stock and kaffir lime leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
4 Add vegetables and tofu, and continue to simmer for 20 minutes. Remove kaffir lime leaves.
5 Serve garnished with spring onion and coriander leaves, with hot rice on the side.
Make it gluten free: Check turmeric, stock and tofu are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 22g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 14g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us