Sayur lodeh (Malay vegetable curry)
(at time of publication)
- Curry paste
- 5 dried chillies
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 small shallots, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Vegemite
- 35g (4 tablespoons) ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass (white part only), roughly chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup reduced-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 250g green beans, ends removed and cut in half
- 2 cups quartered button mushrooms
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into batons
- 1 head (around 200g)c broccoli, cut in small florets
- ¼ (around 500g) red cabbage, sliced
- 300g firm tofu, cut in 3cm cubes
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- coriandercilantroX leaves, to garnish
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
1 Place all curry paste ingredients in a food processor. Blend to a smooth paste.
2 Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add curry paste and fry for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
3 Add coconut milk, stock and kaffir lime leaves and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
4 Add vegetables and tofu, and continue to simmer for 20 minutes. Remove kaffir lime leaves.
5 Serve garnished with spring onion and coriander leaves, with hot rice on the side.
Make it gluten free: Check turmeric, stock and tofu are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 22g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 14g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.