Sticky jerk chicken, rice and bean traybake
Last updated date: 20 September 2022
- ½ x 25g sachet Caribbean-style Street Food seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 600g chicken breast fillets
- 1 cup medium-grain white rice
- 400g can no-added-salt red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 yellow capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 2 corn sweetcornXcobs, husks and silks removed, each cob cut into 3 even rounds
- ¼ pineapple, cored, cut into 3cm pieces
- fresh mint leaves, to serve
- 6 small tortillas, warmed, to serve
- ½ cup low-fat plain yoghurt, to serve
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place seasoning, oil and chicken in a large mixing bowl, tossing well to coat.
2 Place rice, 2½ cups water and beans in a 25 x 35cm (4cm-deep) baking dish, stirring to combine. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and gently stir rice with a fork.
3 Top rice mixture with capsicums, corn, pineapple and seasoned chicken. Lightly spray with olive oil then bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until chicken is golden and cooked and rice is tender.
4 Scatter traybake with fresh mint and serve at the table with tortillas and yoghurt on the side.
LOVE your LEGUMES!
Beans, chickpeas and lentils are inexpensive plant-based proteins. These legumes can also help lower cholesterol, improve blood sugars and even reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes. Aim for a serve (½ cup) three times a week.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 8.7g
–Saturated fat 2.7g
Dietary fibre 9.2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.