Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- a glass jar with a tight lid, large enough for all the ingredients (about 350ml)
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes (buy these in the spices aisle)
- 2 teaspoons salt-reduced vegetable stock powder
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raisins, currants or sultanasgolden raisinsX
Total fat 1g
saturated fat N/S
Dietary fibre 1g
1 Wash jar in warm water. Leave it in the sun or a warm place to dry inside.
2 To create colourful layers in jar (see picture), first pour – cup rice into the bottom of jar. Cover it with turmeric. Add onion flakes as the next layer, then a raisin layer. Sprinkle stock powder over then finish with another 1/2 cup rice.
3 Gently insert cinnamon stick, careful not to shake jar. Close lid. Attach instruction label to jar. Wrap a circle of fabric around the top and fasten with a ribbon.
Instruction label to attach to jar
To make this Surprise rice, pour ingredients into a pot, cover with 1 1/2 cups cold water and cook. Merry Christmas!
Make it gluten free: Check turmeric and onion flakes are gluten free and use gluten-free stock powder.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us