Thrifty pasta sauce
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 sticks celery
- 2 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, chopped
- 1 capsicum, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 x 400g cans tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto or 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 handful fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chilli (optional)
- black olives (optional)
Total fat 7.3g
Saturated fat 1.4g
Dietary fibre 3.5g
1 Heat oil in a frying pan or saucepan. Gently fry the onions and garlic. When soft, add the vegetables cook 5-10 minutes.
2 Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, pesto and chilli. Continue cooking until the vegetables are tender and flavours are developed (10-20 minutes).
3 Add olives and serve over cooked pasta or with meatballs, use in a calzone or serve over ravioli.
- Add a dash of wine.
- Add a couple of chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add other vegetables such as asparagus tips, spinach, roasted vegetables.
- Use blanched fresh tomatoes instead of tinned tomatoes.
- A homemade pasta sauce may have obvious chunks of tomato, but you can easily conceal vegetables left over from a previous meal – simply purée them before adding to the sauce.
- Think of the sauce as a base and use your imagination. This is so easy and inexpensive, you need never open a jar of sauce for pasta again.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us