Tuscan meatballs and spaghetti
- 500g lean pork mince
- 3 rashers (50g) eye bacon, fat trimmed, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, grated
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 4 slices wholemeal bread
- ¼ cup trim milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400ml tomato passata
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 300g dried wholemeal spaghetti
- ½ cup shaved parmesan, to serve
- handful fresh parsley, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220ºC. In a large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients.
- In a food processor, blitz the bread and milk, then add to the pork mixture, along with eggs and cottage cheese. Combine well.
- With wet hands, form the mix into 50g balls, you should get about 24. In a large, ovenproof dish, place the meatballs in a single layer then bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add pepper, passata and tomatoes and continue to cook while meatballs are browning.
- Remove meatballs from oven and turn heat down to 200ºC. Pour sauce over meatballs, return dish to oven and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and cook spaghetti according to packet instructions. Drain and divide among 6 pasta plates. Serve topped with meatballs, parmesan and parsley.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and pasta and check bacon and passata are gluten free
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information