Chicken noodle okonomiyaki
- 2 x 69g packets wholegrain chicken 2 minute noodles, flavour sachets discarded
- ½ cup self-raising flour
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 x 300g packet finely shredded coleslaw mix
- 150g cooked skinless chicken breast, roughly chopped
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespooons Kewpie Japanese mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons hot chilli sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 bunches steamed or stir-fried broccolini, to serve
1 Cook noodles according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
2 Place flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and crack in eggs. Add soy sauce, mixing until smooth. Add coleslaw, chicken, noodles and three-quarters of the onion, mixing to combine.
3 Heat half the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add half the noodle mixture to pan, flattening to form a 1.5cm thick pancake. Cook for 4–5 minutes or until underside is golden and cooked through. When pancake is set and firm enough to flip over, carefully slide out onto a large plate. Turn pan upside down to cover pancake then flip both over so uncooked side of pancake is on base of pan. Cook pancake for a further 3 minutes or until underside is golden and cooked through. Transfer pancake to a serving plate. Repeat with remaining oil and noodle mixture to make two.
4 Drizzle okonomiyaki with mayonnaise and hot chilli sauce. Sprinkle with seeds and remaining onion. Serve with broccolini on the side.
Cooking for kids who don’t like spice? Replace hot chilli sauce with the sweeter, vegie-based tonkatsu sauce.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 31.9g
–Saturated fat 6.8g
Dietary fibre 8.6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.