Tomato soup with basil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1kg tomatoes (vine ripened are best), halved
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 teaspoons reduced-salt vegetable stock powder mixed with 1 cup boiling water
- small bunch fresh basil, plus a few leaves to garnish
1 Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Spread the onions and garlic on the baking tray, then put the tomatoes on top, cut side up. Drizzle with the oil and roast for 45 min.
2 Put the tomato purée in a large pan and cook for 2 min. Add the stock and season generously with freshly ground black pepper. Squeeze the garlic from the cooked cloves and add it with the cooked tomatoes, onion and any juices, then simmer for 3 min. Add the basil, then remove from the heat.
3 Spoon the soup into a blender or use a stick blender and whizz until completely smooth. Garnish with basil leaves to serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 3.3g
–Saturated fat 0.6g
Dietary fibre 3.7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.