Vegan mapo tofu
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 400g fresh tofu, drained and broken into 2cm chunks
- 1 1/2 cups diced button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons black bean chilli paste or XO mushroom sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sichuan pepper (see tip)
- 3 cups diced portobello mushrooms
- 25g dry black wood ear mushrooms, soaked in boiling water, drained, sliced
- 1 eggplantaubergineX, diced
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 4 cups cooked black rice
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 8g
- Drain tofu, and gently break up into 2cm chunks.
- In a food processor, chop button mushrooms until fine but not puréed.
- In wok or large non-stick pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add chilli paste, Sichuan pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Turn heat up to high, add all mushrooms and eggplant and cook quickly until softened. Turn out into a bowl.
- Add tofu to the pan, stir-fry over medium heat for 8 minutes. Add spring onions and cook for 2 minutes. Return mushrooms and eggplant to the pan, mix well.
- Serve with the black rice in large bowls. Garnish with coriander, if desired.
Cutting dairy out of your diet for health reasons or because you’re vegan doesn’t have to be a chore. Healthy Food Guide has an extensive collection of healthy dairy-free recipes to make the transition easy and delicious. Browse hundreds of high-calcium recipes. Delicious and healthy meal ideas with high calcium ingredients. Browse hundreds of high-fibre recipes. Delicious and healthy meal ideas with high fibre ingredients. Improve your energy levels and resistance with a balanced, iron rich diet. Our huge collection of healthy, iron-boosting recipes are as tasty as they are easy to make. Browse hundreds of high-protein recipes. Boost your protein intake with our delicious and healthy meal ideas. Browse hundreds of low sodium recipes. Lower your sodium intake with delicious and healthy meal ideas. Whether you’re new to veganism, trying to add more vegetables to your diet, or cooking for a vegan friend, Healthy Food Guide has a fabulous range of vegan recipes, so you can love your animal friends and be healthy. Fresh, inspiring and healthy vegetarian recipes to help you maintain a balanced diet while living meat free. Our vegetarian recipes are full of goodness and perfect for vegetarians and people wanting to enjoy a meal without meat.
If you can’t find wood ear mushrooms, just use more portobellos.
- Mapo tofu, also known as mapo doufu, is a dish from Sichuan province in southwest China, and is tofu in a spicy sauce.
- Sichuan pepper is sometimes called Sichuan powder.
- Black bean chilli paste, XO mushroom sauce, wood ear mushrooms and Sichuan pepper are available from Asian grocery stores.
Author: Sam Campbell -
Photographer: Melanie Jenkins
First published: Jul 20172017-10-04 13:41:32
Ready to put your health first?
© Healthy Life Media LimitedAll rights reservedReproduction without permission prohibited