Vegan mapo tofu
- 400g fresh tofu, drained and broken into 2cm chunks
- 1 ½ cups diced button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons black bean chilli paste or XO mushroom sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons Sichuan pepper (see tip)
- 3 cups diced portobello mushrooms
- 25g dry black wood ear mushrooms, soaked in boiling water, drained, sliced
- 1 eggplantaubergineX, diced
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 4 cups cooked black rice
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Drain tofu, and gently break up into 2cm chunks.
2 In a food processor, chop button mushrooms until fine but not puréed.
3 In wok or large non-stick pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add chilli paste, Sichuan pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Turn heat up to high, add all mushrooms and eggplant and cook quickly until softened. Turn out into a bowl.
4 Add tofu to the pan, stir-fry over medium heat for 8 minutes. Add spring onions and cook for 2 minutes. Return mushrooms and eggplant to the pan, mix well.
5 Serve with the black rice in large bowls. Garnish with coriander, if desired.
If you can’t find wood ear mushrooms, just use more portobellos.
- Mapo tofu, also known as mapo doufu, is a dish from Sichuan province in southwest China, and is tofu in a spicy sauce.
- Sichuan pepper is sometimes called Sichuan powder.
- Black bean chilli paste, XO mushroom sauce, wood ear mushrooms and Sichuan pepper are available from Asian grocery stores.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.