Alphabet soupReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 cup alphabet or small-sized pasta (see variations — we used Diamond Footy Shapes)
- 1 tablespoon good-quality oil (we used macadamia)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen diced carrot
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cauliflower florets
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 420g can cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
1 Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside. Heat oil in a medium saucepan and stir-fry carrots and cauliflower until soft.
2 Add tomatoes and thyme and bring to the boil. Remove from heat and add cannellini beans.
3 Blend soup with a stick blender until smooth. Add 1—1 1/2 cups hot water to make a more soup-like consistency. Add pasta. Serve warm.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta.
- A dash of Light & Creamy Evaporated Milk will soften the tomato flavour (but it won’t be vegan).
- Try using diced kumara or pumpkin instead of carrots.
- Add a sliced mushroom to the veges for a different flavour.
- For a dash of green, sprinkle a tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley on the finished soup.
- Any small-sized pasta will do in this recipe, eg. orzo, small spirals or Diamond Dino (dinosaur) Shapes.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information