Bacon and egg pie
(at time of publication)
- 9 sheets filo pastry
- 1 ½ tablespoons melted reduced-fat spread
- 250g lean bacon, diced
- 3 spring onions, finely diced, or ¼ cup chopped chives
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 12 eggs, whisked with freshly ground black pepper
1 Preheat oven to 190°C. Lay 1 filo pastry sheet on a large board. Brush very thinly with melted spread. Lay another sheet on top and repeat until you have 6-sheet stack. Line base and sides of a large baking dish (about 25x30cm) with filo pastry stack.
2 Sprinkle with bacon, onions and peas.Gently pour eggs over.
3 With remaining filo make a 3-sheet filo pastry stack. Fold in half and place carefully on top pie. Trim or fold in edges as required. Pierce pastry in several places (with a knife or fork) to allow steam to escape.
4 Bake for 10 minutes then reduce temperature to 180°C. Cook for 40-45 more minutes until pastry is golden and filling feels firm when tested with a knife. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Add tomato: Slice 2 medium-sized tomatoes thinly and place slices on top of bacon before adding spring onions and peas.
- Add potato: Chop leftover cooked potato in small chunks and add to pie with peas and spring onions.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us