Time to make: 45 mins
(at time of publication)
- 250g penne pasta
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
- 150g rindless eye bacon rashers, chopped
- 200g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 3 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup light and creamy evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon cornflourcornstarchX
- 4 thick slices wholegrain bread, crusts removed, cut in 1cm squares
1 Cook pasta following packet directions. Drain. Set aside.
2 Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil. Heat over a medium heat. Add onion and bacon. Cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in chives, half the mustard and half the parsley.
3 Place 1/4 cup milk with cornflour in a small bowl. Stir to combine. Add cornflour mixture and remaining milk to mushroom mixture. Add pasta. Toss to coat. Remove from heat.
4 Transfer pasta mixture to an 8-cup capacity ovenproof dish. Toss bread in remaining mustard and parsley. Scatter over pasta. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 5g
Broccoli or cauliflower would also work well in this recipe. Add small florets to pasta water for the last 3 minutes of pasta cooking time. Then add to mushroom mixture as in step 3.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us