Cheesy risotto balls with warm winter salad
(at time of publication)
- Risotto balls
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup wholemeal breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 cups cold leftover risotto (we used oven-baked pumpkin and sage risotto)
- 8 basil leaves
- 100g fresh mozzarella, chopped into 8 x 2cm cubes
- spray oil
- spray oil
- 4 cups kale leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 cups broccoli florets, in bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon-infused olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons ciderhard ciderX vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the flour in a shallow medium-sized bowl or plate. Lightly whisk the eggs in another bowl. Mix the breadcrumbs, parsley, parmesan and pepper and tip on to a plate.
2 To make the risotto balls, use clean wet hands to shape a small handful of the risotto into a ball. Make a hole in the centre of each ball with your finger. Wrap a basil leaf around a piece of mozzarella, and poke this into the ball, rolling to close over. Repeat with the remaining risotto to make 8 balls, keeping hands wet all the time.
3 Roll a risotto ball in the flour and shake off excess. Dip in egg, then roll in breadcrumb mix to coat. Place on baking tray. Repeat with the remaining risotto balls.
4 Spray balls with oil spray. Bake in oven for 20 minutes, spraying again halfway through, or until crisp and golden.
5 While balls are cooking, make the salad. Heat a spray of oil in a large, heavy-based pan over a high heat. Add kale and broccoli and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes, until tender. Remove from heat and stir through baby spinach.
6 Combine oil, mustard, vinegar, water and salt to make dressing. Pour over vegetables and toss well. Garnish with pumpkin seeds.
7 Serve risotto balls with warm salad.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free leftover risotto, breadcrumbs and flour. Check mustard is gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 23g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information