Chicken and date tagineReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- cooking spray oil
- 900g chicken breast fillets, cut in 2.5cm cubes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 yellow capsicum, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 fresh dates, pitted, coarsely chopped
- 500g kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled, cut in 2cm cubes
- 200g green beans, halved
- 1 cup couscous
- ¼ cup chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a large frying pan with oil and place over a medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches and place in a tagine or a large casserole dish (with a lid).
2 Spray frying pan with a little more oil and return to heat. Cook onion and capsicum for 4-5 minutes over a low heat until soft. Add ginger, cumin and paprika. Cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
3 Add stock and tomato paste to capsicum mixture. Bring to the boil. Pour over chicken. Add dates and kumara. Cover and bake for 40 minutes. Add green beans to casserole dish. Cover and return to oven for 20 more minutes or until tender.
4 Meanwhile, cook couscous following packet directions. Before serving, scatter chicken with coriander then serve with couscous.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free stock and tomato paste, and replace couscous with quinoa.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 6g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information