Chicken and veg sausage rolls
- 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 courgette, roughly chopped
- 500g chicken breast mince
- 1 cup wholegrain breadcrumbs (see tip)
- 1 egg, plus 1 extra, whisked, for egg wash
- 2 tablespoons reduced-salt-and-sugar tomato sauce, plus extra to serve
- 3 sheets reduced-fat puff pastry, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 3 baking trays with baking paper.
2 Place vegetables, mince, breadcrumbs, egg and tomato sauce in a food processor and pulse until well combined but not a complete paste.
3 Lay one pastry sheet on a chopping board and cut in half lengthways. Place one-sixth of chicken mixture along centre of both pieces. Roll up firmly, with seam side facing down. Cut each log into 8 pieces and transfer to tray. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling to fill up trays.
4 Brush sausage rolls with egg wash, then sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds. Bake rolls for 30 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly, then serve with extra tomato sauce.
To make homemade breadcrumbs, toast two slices of wholegrain bread, then process in a food processor to form fine crumbs.
Freeze uncooked sausage rolls after step 3, then cook later.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 1.5g
–Saturated fat 0.4g
Dietary fibre 0.4g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.