Farmhouse soup with spinach dumplings
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 onions, sliced
- ½ cup yellow peas
- ½ cup split green peas
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups chopped root vegetables, eg. parsnips, swedes, potatoes
- 4 cups liquid reduced-salt vegetable stock or liquid no-added-salt chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- Spinach dumplings
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 25g reduced-fat spread
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 ½ cups spinach, chopped, lightly cooked
- ¾ cup skim milk
1 Preheat slow cooker and turn to low. Heat oil in a non-stick pan and cook garlic and ginger for a few minutes. Add onions and cook until softened. Place in a slow cooker.
2 Add peas and barley and remaining vegetables with stock and water. Cook for 4-5 hours.
3 Meanwhile, prepare dumplings. Sieve flour and salt into a bowl. Rub in spread. Add parsley and spinach. Make a well in the centre and pour in milk. Mix to a soft dough. Form into 12 balls. Cook at 180°C in oven for 10 minutes. Drop into soup for a final 20 minutes of cooking.
4 Serve with chopped fresh parsley.
The dumplings can be made up and even cooked in the oven the day before making the soup.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.