Fruit-filled choux puffs
Time to make: 1 hr 30 mins , plus 1 hr 30 mins cooling
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- canola spray oil for greasing bun tins
- 1 cup plain flourall purpose flourX, sieved
- 75g reduced-fat spread (I used Logicol light)
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 225g reduced-fat fruit yoghurt
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries(frozen is fine)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons icingfrostingX sugar, plus a sprinkling
- fresh mint sprigs
- drizzling light chocolate sauce (such as Hershey’s 97% fat-free syrup) (optional)
Total fat 13.4g
Saturated fat 2.2g
Dietary fibre 1.4g
1 Preheat the oven to 210°C. Lightly spray the bun tins with oil or line a large tray with greaseproof paper.
2 Sift the flour into a bowl. Gently heat the low-fat spread and the cold water in a non-stick pan, until the fat melts. Bring the mixture to the boil.
3 Remove from the stove. Tip in the flour and beat thoroughly until the mixture is smooth. Return the pan to the heat for 1 minute only while stirring continuously, until the mixture becomes a ball of dough. Cool slightly. Add the beaten eggs to the dough, a little at a time, until the mixture forms a smooth shiny paste.
4 Place tablespoons of choux pastry onto the prepared tray and bake for 20 minutes until the puffs turn golden brown and have puffed up. Remove from the heat and cut each pastry in half with a sharp knife (this allows the steam to be released and prevents a soggy pastry). Return to the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
5 Fill the pastries with the yoghurt and chopped fruit. Sprinkle with icing sugar and garnish with fresh mint. Drizzle with chocolate if desired.
- You can make a larger choux ring by drawing a circle about 24cm on a sheet of non-stick greaseproof paper. Place the teaspoons of choux mixture onto the circle to fill it evenly. Cook as above for 10 minutes longer at both stages. Fill with fruit yoghurt and a selection of fruits.
- For a richer cream filling, use equal amounts of fruit yoghurt with reduced-fat soft cheese in the puffs.