HFG chocolate self-saucing pudding
Time to make: 45 mins
( Hands-on time: 10 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup trim milk
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat spread, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornflourcornstarchX
- 2 cups boiling water
Total fat 3g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 2g
1 Preheat oven to 180ºC. In a medium-sized bowl combine sifted flour, cocoa and sugar.
2 In a separate bowl (or jug) combine milk, melted spread and vanilla essence. Pour into flour mixture and stir until just combined. Do not over-mix as this will result in a tough texture. Spoon into a medium-sized ovenproof dish.
3 To make sauce, combine sugar, cocoa and cornflour. Sprinkle over batter. Carefully pour boiling water over the back of a spoon onto pudding. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pudding springs back when lightly touched.
- Improve nutrient value by adding 1/2 cup chopped walnuts to the flour, cocoa and sugar mixture at the beginning of the recipe. As well as providing delicious taste and texture, walnuts are rich in essential omega-3 fatty acids, something New Zealanders do not currently get enough of.
- Serve small portions only and bulk out with fresh, stewed or canned fruit. Fresh raspberries, boysenberries or canned black doris plums are particularly delicious with this pudding.
- Serve with thick plain low-fat yoghurt or light ice cream instead of cream or traditional ice cream. This will keep kilojoules down as well as being better for your heart.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)