HFG chocolate self-saucing pudding
- 1 ¼ cups self-raising flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat spread, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ cup brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornflourcornstarchX
- 2 cups boiling water
1 Preheat oven to 180ºC. In a medium-sized bowl combine sifted flour, cocoa and sugar.
2 In a separate bowl (or jug) combine milk, melted spread and vanilla essence. Pour into flour mixture and stir until just combined. Do not over-mix as this will result in a tough texture. Spoon into a medium-sized ovenproof dish.
3 To make sauce, combine sugar, cocoa and cornflour. Sprinkle over batter. Carefully pour boiling water over the back of a spoon onto pudding. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pudding springs back when lightly touched.
- Improve nutrient value by adding 1/2 cup chopped walnuts to the flour, cocoa and sugar mixture at the beginning of the recipe. As well as providing delicious taste and texture, walnuts are rich in essential omega-3 fatty acids, something New Zealanders do not currently get enough of.
- Serve small portions only and bulk out with fresh, stewed or canned fruit. Fresh raspberries, boysenberries or canned black doris plums are particularly delicious with this pudding.
- Serve with thick plain low-fat yoghurt or light ice cream instead of cream or traditional ice cream. This will keep kilojoules down as well as being better for your heart.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 3g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 2g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like