Spiced chickpea ‘baked beans’
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red onion, ½ finely chopped, ½ thinly sliced
- 1 courgettezucchiniX, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 x 425g cans no-added salt chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, rinsed, drained
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 810g can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup fresh coriandercilantroX sprigs, to serve
- 2 naan breads, warmed, cut into strips, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
1 Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, finely chopped onion, courgette and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
2 Add chickpeas, both paprikas, cumin and chilli flakes and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add tomatoes and 1 cup water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens and reduces.
3 Divide chickpea baked beans among four serving bowls. Top with coriander and sliced onion. Serve with naan bread and lemon wedges on the side.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 13.2g
–Saturated fat 4.2g
Dietary fibre 14g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like