HFG Christmas cake
Time to make: 2 hrs 40 mins , plus 30 mins cooling
( Hands-on time: 25 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 125g reduced-fat spread
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark- brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1/3 cup golden syrupmaple syrup corn syrupX
- 2/3 cup brandy or dark rum
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 1/2 cups sultanasgolden raisinsX
- 1 cup raisins, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup red glacé cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup dried pitted dates, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- about 1/2 cup blanched almonds or pecan halves
Total fat 5g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 3g
- Preheat oven to 130°C. Line base and sides of a deep 20cm-round cake tin with 3 layers of baking paper, allowing paper to stand 5cm above top edge of tin.
- Place spread, sugar, 3/4 cup water, golden syrup, 1/2 cup of the brandy, mixed spice and fruit in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Stir in eggs and flours. Spoon mixture into prepared tin and smooth top. Decorate with nuts. Bake for 2–2 1/4 hours or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Brush cake with the remaining brandy then cover hot cake tightly with tinfoil. Cool completely in tin before slicing.
Egg-free, milk-free and nut-free Christmas cake
In step 1, increase water to 1 cup. Omit eggs and nuts from recipe. Change flour ratios to 1/2 cup flour and 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour. Continue as instructed.
Gluten-free Christmas cake
Replace flours with gluten-free baking mix and check ground spice is gluten-free. Continue as instructed.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us