HFG Christmas cake
- 125g reduced-fat spread
- ¾ cup firmly packed dark- brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- ⅓ cup golden syrupmaple syrup corn syrupX
- ⅔ cup brandy or dark rum
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 ½ cups sultanasgolden raisinsX
- 1 cup raisins, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup red glacé cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup dried pitted dates, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- about ½ cup blanched almonds or pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 130°C. Line base and sides of a deep 20cm-round cake tin with 3 layers of baking paper, allowing paper to stand 5cm above top edge of tin.
- Place spread, sugar, 3/4 cup water, golden syrup, 1/2 cup of the brandy, mixed spice and fruit in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Stir in eggs and flours. Spoon mixture into prepared tin and smooth top. Decorate with nuts. Bake for 2–2 1/4 hours or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Brush cake with the remaining brandy then cover hot cake tightly with tinfoil. Cool completely in tin before slicing.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 3g
Egg-free, milk-free and nut-free Christmas cake
In step 1, increase water to 1 cup. Omit eggs and nuts from recipe. Change flour ratios to 1/2 cup flour and 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour. Continue as instructed.
Gluten-free Christmas cake
Replace flours with gluten-free baking mix and check ground spice is gluten-free. Continue as instructed.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.