HFG lamb rogan josh
(at time of publication)
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500g diced lamb
- 3 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriandercilantroX
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 130g baby spinach
- 200g low-fat plain yoghurt
- handful fresh mint, shredded
- 4 cups cooked basmati rice, to serve
- 4 cups steamed green vegetables, to serve
1 Heat half the oil in a medium-sized saucepan over a medium-low heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
2 Meanwhile, place a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the remaining oil and lamb. Brown lamb then place in saucepan.
3 To the frying pan add the next 6 ingredients and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and 1/3 cup water. Bring to the boil. Transfer mixture to saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer over a very low heat for 1 hour until tender.
4 Stir through spinach and cook for 1 minute until wilted. Combine yoghurt and mint in a small bowl. Serve yoghurt with rogan josh, rice and vegetables.
500g ready-made rogan josh simmer sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup Greek yoghurt
4 cups steamed basmati rice
4 cups steamed green vegetables
What we did
- used homemade rogan josh sauce instead of ready-made
- reduced the amount of lamb
- reduced the amount of oil
- increased the amount of vegetables
Traditional rogan josh (per serve)
Total energy 4530kJ
Total fat 66g (25g saturated fat)
Total sodium 1000mg
HFG rogan josh (per serve)
Total energy 2250kJ
Total fat 13g (4g saturated fat)
Total sodium 190mg
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 13g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.