Light-as-air sponge cake
(at time of publication)
- spray oil
- 3 room temperature eggs, yolks and whites separated
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¾ cup cornflourcornstarchX
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups reduced-fat Greek-style yoghurt, to serve (we used Anchor Protein+)
- 1 ½ cups mixed berries*
- sifted icingfrostingX sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a 20cm cake tin with oil and line with baking paper.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites with an electric beater until soft peaks form. Add sugar and beat again to combine. Beat in egg yolks. Carefully fold in the flours and baking powder.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 20 minutes, or until the cake starts to shrink away from the edges of the tin.
- Remove cake from oven and leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes. Run a knife between the cake and the tin, then turn the sponge out onto a wire rack. When completely cool, pour over yoghurt and place berries on top. Dust with icing sugar. Slice and divide among plates.
*Passionfruit pulp also makes a tasty topping.
- Tips for a great sponge
- Overcooking will dry the sponge out
- Egg whites beat best when the weather isn’t humid
- Fold ingredients until just combined. Don’t over mix or you’ll knock the air out and the surface will crack on baking.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 2g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.