Mushroom and pea risotto
(at time of publication)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 ¼ cups arborio rice
- ½ cup white wine
- 20g dried mushrooms, such as shiitake
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups liquid salt-reduced vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon (or more) chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil extra
- 200g fresh portobello mushrooms, sliced
- juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups frozen peas
- ¾ cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted, to garnish (see tip)
1 Turn slow cooker on to desired heat. Take peas out of freezer and leave in a covered dish to thaw.
2 Heat oil in heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium heat, add onions and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes to soften. Add rice and cook for another two minutes or until it starts to become translucent. Add wine and stir constantly over heat for a minute or until it is absorbed.
3 Scrape mixture into slow cooker, setting pan aside to use later on. Add dried mushrooms, dried thyme, stock and chilli flakes, if using. Cover and cook until rice is tender and moist.
4 While risotto is cooking, heat frying pan, add extra olive oil and cook mushrooms until soft. Add lemon juice and parsley and stir to combine. Add to slow cooker, along with the peas, around 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time. Just before serving, stir in parmesan. Serve garnished with fresh parsley and toasted pumpkin seeds.
Make it gluten free: Check stock is gluten free.
To toast pumpkin seeds, cook over medium heat in a frying pan with a heavy bottom until they start to brown and make a popping sound.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.