Chickpea minestrone with parmesan grain croutons
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 courgette, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow capsicum, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 x 425g can no-added-salt chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, rinsed, drained
- 1 x 400g can no-added-salt canned tomatoes
- 2 x 500ml cartons no-added-salt vegetable stock
- 2 large mixed grain bread rolls, cut into chunks
- ½ cup (35g) shaved parmesan
- Finely chopped fresh parsley and lemon zest (optional), to serve
1 Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until softened. Add celery, carrot, courgette, capsicum and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until combined. Add cumin and chickpeas and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
2 Add tomatoes and stock to pan, stirring to combine. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
3 Meanwhile, preheat oven to 160°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Place bread chunks on prepared tray and lightly spray with olive oil. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
4 Divide soup among four serving bowls. Top with cheesy croutons, then serve sprinkled with combined parsley and lemon zest, if using.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9.3g
–Saturated fat 4.8g
Dietary fibre 14.2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.