Healthy pasta alfredo
(at time of publication)
- 320g wholemeal spaghetti
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 3 yellow courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, finely sliced (see tips)
- 2 green courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, shredded or grated
- 8 cups baby spinach
- ⅓ cup finely grated parmesan
- pinch salt
- cracked black pepper
- In a saucepan of boiling water, cook pasta according to packet directions, or until al dente. Drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick frying pan heat olive oil over medium-high. Gently fry onion and garlic for 3–4 minutes, or until softened. Add thyme and cook for a further minute, or until fragrant.
- Add flour and stir to coat onions. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, until smooth. Bring mixture to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring, for 4–5 minutes, or until thickened. Add courgettes and cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes, or until veges are just tender.
- Add spinach, parmesan and salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until spinach wilts. Add pasta and toss to coat.
- To serve, divide the pasta among 4 bowls and season with cracked black pepper.
You can use green courgettes if you like.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta and flour.
You can use a vegetable peeler to shred the courgette, if you prefer
What we did
- Left out the bacon, creating a delicious vegetarian dish.
- Reduced the parmesan, which cut the saturated fat by 60 per cent and the sodium by 64 per cent
- Swapped to wholemeal pasta, and useda little less, which nearly tripled the fibre and iron while cutting the kilojoules and carbs.
|2390kJ||1730kJ||28% fewer kJ|
|5g saturated fat||2g saturated fat||60% less saturated fat|
|80g carbs||60g carbs||25% less carbs|
|4g fibre||11g fibre||175% more fibre|
|550mg sodium||200mg sodium||64% less sodium|
|2.5mg iron||6mg iron||140% more iron|
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information