Quinoa pilaf with chicken and red kidney beans
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated zest of lemon, plus extra to serve
- 250g chicken breast fillet, thinly sliced
- 1 cup tri-colour quinoa, rinsed, drained
- 2 cups salt-reduced gluten-free chicken stock
- 300g broccoli, trimmed, cut into small florets
- 200g green beans, sliced
- 400g can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to serve
1 Heat a drizzle of oil in a large saucepan over a high heat. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and lemon rind and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until browned
2 Add quinoa and stock to pan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 12 minutes or until stock has almost evaporated. Add broccoli, green beans and red kidney beans, stirring to combine. Cover and cook for a further 2–3 minutes or until stock has evaporated. Remove pan from heat and set aside, covered, to steam for 3–4 minutes.
3 Season with freshly ground black pepper and stir through currants and parsley. Serve pilaf topped with extra parsley and lemon rind.
If you like, substitute the quinoa with bulgar wheat, brown rice, wild black rice or jasmine rice.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9.8g
–Saturated fat 1.7g
Dietary fibre 12.5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.