Chicken and leek filo pot pies
(at time of publication)
- 1 bunch broccolini or small head of broccoli
- 500g chicken breast fillets, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 2 leeks, rinsed well, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons plain flourall purpose flourX
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Thinly slice broccolini stems and reserve the tops. Spray a large saucepan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Cook the chicken and leek, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is browned and the leek softens. Add thyme leaves and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add broccolini stems and flour to pan. Stir to coat. Add stock and 1/2 cup water and bring to the boil, stir well. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through. Stir in peas.
- Meanwhile, place a sheet of filo on a work surface. Starting at one long side, roll the filo to form a log. Coil log into a spiral. Place on prepared tray, spray with oil and repeat process with remaining filo to make 4 spirals. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over medium-high, lightly spray with oil and stir-fry Brussels sprouts for 1-2 minutes. Add a splash of water to create steam then add broccolini tops. Stir-fry for a further 2-3 minutes. Add a little more water and cook until veges are just tender. Divide chicken mixture among 4 bowls. Top with filo spirals and serve with veges.
Make it vegan: Use vegan stock and chicken-style strips or firm, cubed tofu instead of chicken.
The cooked chicken filling is suitable to freeze at the end of step 3.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.