Tomato, chickpea and feta shakshuka
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 400g can no-added-salt chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, rinsed, drained
- 800g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 75g chopped kale and baby spinach leaf mix
- 4 eggs
- 50g reduced-fat feta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 slices wholegrain crusty bread, to serve
1 Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan set over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 3–4 minutes, or until softened. Add garlic, cumin, paprika, chilli and chickpeas. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
2 Add the canned tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 4–5 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Stir in kale and spinach mix. Cook for 1 minute.
3 Remove pan from heat. Using the back of a spoon, make four indentations in tomato mixture. Gently crack 1 egg into each of the indentations. Cook, partially covered, for 6–8 minutes, or until the egg whites have set, but the yolks are still soft.
4 Sprinkle the shakshuka with feta and parsley, and serve with bread.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14.2g
–Saturated fat 3.4g
Dietary fibre 10.4g
Last updated date: 22 November 2021
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.