Root veg rosti with homemade beans
Last updated date: 25 January 2023
- For the beans
- Oil spray
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ‘magic dust’ (see below) or dried chilli flakes/chilli powder
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2½ tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1½ teaspoon cornflourcornstarchX
- 400g can haricot beans, drained
- For the rosti
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 2/3 cup butternut squash or pumpkin, peeled and grated
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- Oil spray
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- ½ tablespoon plain flourall purpose flourX
- ½ tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or ¼tsp dried)
- For the tempeh
- 250g smoked tempeh, cut into 1cm cubes (or use chopped vegan ‘ham’ or ‘bacon’)
- 1 teaspoon smoked or mild paprika
- Oil spray
- For the ‘magic dust’ See HFG tip)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Korean red pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon hot chilli/chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Spray a large deep non-stick frying pan with oil. Add the celery and carrot and sauté over a low heat for a few min until softened and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2–3 min. Add the ‘magic dust’ or dried chilli, tomatoes, tomato ketchup and cornflour. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 min. Use a handheld blender to blitz the mixture in the pan, then add the beans and bring back to a simmer for a further 10–20 min until the beans are soft. Set aside.
2 Meanwhile, to make the rosti, put the grated potatoes, squash or pumpkin and carrots into a large bowl. Pour over 8 cups boiling water and stand for 10 min.
3 Spray a non-stick frying pan with oil and cook the onion for 15 min or until it turns sticky. Stir in the flour and cook for a further 2–3 min. Transfer the softened onion mixture into a large clean bowl.
4 Drain the grated vegetables, then, using your hands, squeeze out the excess water. Add the vegetables and thyme to the bowl with the onion mixture.
5 Put the tempeh (or ‘ham’ or ‘bacon’) in a bowl with the paprika and stir to coat well. Spray a small non-stick frying pan with oil and fry the tempeh, ‘ham’ or ‘bacon’ over a moderately high heat for 5–10 min until browned and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper and set aside.
6 Heat the oven to 120°C/fan 100°C/gas ½. Spray the same pan with oil and return to the heat. Scoop tablespoons of the mixture into the pan and flatten with a spatula. Fry in batches for 5–6 min on each side until golden. Put the cooked rosti on a baking sheet and keep warm in the low oven while frying the rest.
Divide the cooked rosti between 5 plates, scoop spoonfuls of bean mixture on top and scatter with tempeh pieces.
For the ‘magic dust’: Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 4.5g
–Saturated fat 0.2g
Dietary fibre 13g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.