Salt and pepper tofu with pickled vegetable salad
- 500g firm tofu, drained well
- ¼ cup gluten-free cornflourcornstarchX
- 2 tablespoons rice bran oil
- 250g green beans
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free sushi seasoning
- 3 large carrots, peeled into ribbons
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 large Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthways, seeds scooped out with a spoon, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free, reduced-salt tamari
- 1 long fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 450g packet microwaveable brown rice, heated, to serve
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced, to serve
1 Cut tofu into 1cm-thick slices. Place cornflour on a large plate. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss tofu slices in cornflour to lightly coat.
2 Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add tofu and cook, turning once, for 5 minutes or until golden.
3 Meanwhile, steam, boil or microwave green beans until tender. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Drain again.
4 Place half the sushi seasoning in a large bowl. Add carrot, bean sprouts, cucumber and cooked beans, tossing well to combine. Set aside for 2 minutes or until pickled. Place tamari, remaining sushi seasoning and half the chilli in a small bowl, mixing well to combine.
5 Divide rice among four serving bowls. Top with pickled vegetables and salt and pepper tofu. Sprinkle with spring onions and remaining chilli. Serve drizzled with tamari dressing.
Firm tofu has a lower water content than soft or silken tofu, so holds its shape well when cooked. Find it in the refrigerator aisle of supermarkets.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 8.7g
–Saturated fat 2.4g
Dietary fibre 15.2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.