Slow-cooked beef, barley and vegetables
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 800g lean beef chuck steak, fat-trimmed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups liquid no-added-salt beef stock
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 6 cups chopped spinach
- 6 slices multigrain bread
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat oil in a large, flameproof casserole dish over a medium heat. Brown beef in 3 batches. Transfer to a plate.
2 Cook onion, celery and carrot for 5 minutes. Add browned beef, garlic, thyme, tomatoes, stock, 2 cups water and barley. Stir to combine and bring to the boil.
3 Cover and transfer dish to oven for 2-3 hours or until meat is tender and barley is cooked. Add extra cup of water after 2 hours if casserole looks a bit dry. Remove lid in last 30 minutes to thicken sauceif necessary. Add beans in last 20 minutes of cooking.
4 Fold spinach through casserole to wilt then serve with bread.
- Make it gluten free: Check stock is gluten free, use gluten-free bread, and use brown rice instead of barley.
- Slow-cooker variation: This recipe can also be cooked for 6–10 hours in a slow cooker on low.
This dish freezes well for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.