Spicy meatball skewers
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- ¾ cup bulgar wheat
- 400g minced lamb, room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons five spice
- juice and zest 1 lemon
- 8 soaked bamboo skewers (see tips)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 capsicums mixed colours
- ½ cup fresh herbs, eg, coriandercilantroX or parsley
- 3 peppadew peppersbell peppersX
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 wholemeal pita breads or flatbreads
- 6 cups rocketarugulaX leaves
- rosemary, to garnish
Total fat 15g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 11g
1 In a bowl, place bulgar wheat and pour over 1 cup boiling water. Leave to soak for 5 minutes or until softened and the water has been absorbed.
2 In a large bowl, combine mince, bulgar wheat, five spice and lemon zest. Dampen hands and form mix into meatballs.
3 Thread onto skewers, alternating with tomatoes and capsicums.
4 Grill or barbecue kebabs over medium-high heat, until the meat is evenly browned and cooked through.
5 Meanwhile, in a food processor, blitz herbs, peppadews, oil, lemon juice and ¹/³ cup water. Serve kebabs on a bed of rocket with breads and peppadew sauce. Garnish with rosemary.
Make it low FODMAP: Swap bulgar wheat for quinoa or brown rice (following packet instructions) and use low-FODMAP wraps or bread.
- You can use firm rosemary twigs as skewers. Simply strip the leaves off, leaving a sprig at one end and cut the other end of the stalk to a point so the food can be threaded on easily.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.