Spicy meatball skewersReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- ¾ cup bulgar wheat
- 400g minced lamb, room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons five spice
- juice and zest 1 lemon
- 8 soaked bamboo skewers (see tips)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 capsicums mixed colours
- ½ cup fresh herbs, eg, coriandercilantroX or parsley
- 3 peppadew peppersbell peppersX
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 wholemeal pita breads or flatbreads
- 6 cups rocketarugulaX leaves
- rosemary, to garnish
1 In a bowl, place bulgar wheat and pour over 1 cup boiling water. Leave to soak for 5 minutes or until softened and the water has been absorbed.
2 In a large bowl, combine mince, bulgar wheat, five spice and lemon zest. Dampen hands and form mix into meatballs.
3 Thread onto skewers, alternating with tomatoes and capsicums.
4 Grill or barbecue kebabs over medium-high heat, until the meat is evenly browned and cooked through.
5 Meanwhile, in a food processor, blitz herbs, peppadews, oil, lemon juice and ¹/³ cup water. Serve kebabs on a bed of rocket with breads and peppadew sauce. Garnish with rosemary.
Make it low FODMAP: Swap bulgar wheat for quinoa or brown rice (following packet instructions) and use low-FODMAP wraps or bread.
- You can use firm rosemary twigs as skewers. Simply strip the leaves off, leaving a sprig at one end and cut the other end of the stalk to a point so the food can be threaded on easily.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information