Open smoky steak sandwich with caramelised onions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced into rounds
- ½ teaspoon balsamic glaze
- 2 x 100g beef minute steaks
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or chipotle spice mix
- 2 thick slices wholemeal sourdough, toasted
- 2 slices reduced-fat cheese
- 50g store-bought chargrilled red capsicum, drained
- 60g rocketarugulaX and lettuce leaf mix
- 1 small beetrootbeetsX, peeled, grated
- 1 small Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced into rounds
- Reduced-sugar barbecue sauce or chipotle sauce, to serve
- Fresh herbs ( coriandercilantroX or parsley), to serve
1 Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 8–10 minutes or until golden and caramelised. Add balsamic glaze, stirring to combine. Remove pan from heat.
2 Meanwhile, lightly spray a chargrill pan or a barbecue hotplate with olive oil and heat over high heat. Sprinkle steaks with spice or seasoning, lightly spray with olive oil then add to pan and cook for 1 minute each side or until cooked to your liking.
3 Place a toasted sourdough slice on each serving plate. Top with cheese, capsicum, leaf mix, beetroot, cucumber, steak and caramelised onion. Serve drizzled with sauce and garnished with herbs.
Instead of freshly grated beetroot, you can use a store-bought relish. Or swap for fruit chutney, sauerkraut or pickles.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16.1g
–Saturated fat 6.4g
Dietary fibre 7.6g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like