Capsicum (pepper) and basil pasta salad
- 250g wholemeal or spelt pasta (penne or spirals)
- 2 large courgette, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 large red capsicum, thickly sliced
- 1 large yellow capsicum, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, drained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ²⁄³ cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, torn
- 50g baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted (optional), to serve
1 Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain. Refresh under cold running water and drain again. Transfer to a large serving bowl.
2 Meanwhile, lightly spray a chargrill pan with olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add courgette and cook for 1–2 minutes each side or until tender. Transfer to bowl with pasta.
3 Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, capsicums and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5–7 minutes or until softened. Add capers, sugar and vinegar, stirring to combine. Bring mixture to the boil.
4 Transfer onion mixture to serving bowl. Add basil, spinach and remaining olive oil, tossing well to combine. Serve salad sprinkled with pine nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9.6g
–Saturated fat 1.3g
Dietary fibre 6.5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.